Tuesday 19 February 2008

My crafts

When I was a teenager, I used to work during the summer break.
I worked in different fields and one of these was old wood furniture restoration, I discovered this job by chance and it was very good for me because the laboratory where I worked is near my house, thus I didn't have to get up early :-D
The first impact wasn't really appealing but day by day I started to fall in love with this job and getting in touch with my boss who has become a friend of mine.
The smell, colours and veins of wood are fantastic and I had never imagined how tricky to restore an ancient furniture is, (sometimes you have to start from scratch !), I learnt many wise techniques from shaping wood to painting it.
Every wood has its own brightness, smell and "way of furnishing", a wood can make a dark room shiny, can fill an empty space with harmony.
During those days I developed the passion of creating something with the waste wood (leftovers) before they had thrown away, I wanted to give them a new shape, arrange something; I can't accept the idea of wasting wood for a personal purpose.
I built some items: a bass getting it directly from a raw olive branch, a little bear which embraces a heart, other subjects that I gave away, an old style airplane and two butterflies, these last objects are the only ones that I currently own.




The Airplane, in the pictures, was built with different kinds of wood for example the wheels come from a dismissed broomstick, the body is made of fir.
I left it as it appears without painting, I like seeing the veins of wood and its real colours, paint it, from my personal point of view, is like to overwhelm the wood.



The other pictures show a couple of butterflies, one of them I
gave to my sister. Their wings are made mostly with oak stripes and their body have been built with olive wood pieces remaining after the airplane was made.

Thanks to Zsofia for her corrections

9 comments:

TopGun said...

You Jerk!

why didn't said me about yout craft passion?????

Puntino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Puntino said...

Now you know ;)

TopGun said...

Yes but...I wanna see a TomCat now!!!

moooore diiiifficuult! :P

Puntino said...

Tom CAt?

TopGun said...

Yes.
TomCat..my plane! 8)

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/F14

Selma said...

Wow!
restorating ancient forniture is my father's hobby but unfortunately i haven't learnt anything from him...

Do you have a picture of the bear embracing the heart?

I'm soooooooo curious about!!!


Ciao!

S.

Puntino said...

Hi Selma
Unfortunately at the moment I haven't any pictures of it because I gave it away and when I made it I didn't own any camera
See you

Alexandria Countertops said...

Hi thanks ffor sharing this

 

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!