Can we get rid of books made up of paper?
Honestly, I do not know, I reckon that is something really linked to your personal flavor.
Many technological solutions address the problem to store and retrieve information easily, reliably,
permanently and at low cost. Indeed one of the goals for the next years onwards is to reduce the amount of documents that are made up of papers, the so called "dematerialization" of the documents. A document in electronic format, let's say a "pdf document" has many nifty advantages over a document of paper:
- portable. You just need a usb flash drive to store and bring it everywhere you want without wasting space!
- deliverable. You can buy and get it within a few minutes, you can also pass it out by attaching to an email.
- money saving. You don't need to take a car or bus to get to the library-> fuel not wasted. Additionally, It is not a hard copy made of papers,
- time and energy saving. You just add it to your virtual chart with a click, you can attach it to your email and sending it to your friends without planning an appointment,
- green. You do not increase your ecological footprint because you do not need to take a car or whatsoever to reach the bookshop. Additionally , cut the number of trees hacked up.
- usable. You can write on it with "add comments" command of your pdf reader and change it over and over easier than using a pencil
- copyable, if you hold the proper grant you can copy the text from the it to your document (the well known copy and paste) it 's quicker than typing.
- safety. Less paper in your house harder it blazes :)
- cleanness. You do not have shelfs and books to dust off :)
Despite all these advantages (some of them are really quirky e.g. cleanness but I think it makes sense in somehow) I still do believe that books of paper are far away from disappearing.
I consider myself "a true hard-copy book lover", I need to touch them, to sniff at them, to flip through them, to see them, to blend the upright side corner for reminding me the most relevant pages, to pile up them on my bedside table ... in a nutshell I cannot image a world with no hard copy books..
Are you a hard-copy book lover?