Sunday 14 March 2010

The copy and paste people

I was sitting on my barber's armchair, we were making small talks, interleaving them with a serious reflection, then a laugh and again this cycle.
All of sudden, he asked me, you have been working at university for some weeks, is it a good job?
I rolled my eyes around, thought for a while trying to answer in the best way avoiding bothering him with unpleasant grievances.
Finally, I manged to summed up what I had in my mind and I said to him:
"Currently I'm a PhD student, it means that the university is offering me the last educational stack.
Indeed I attend other courses like an ordinary student does, additionally I'm learning how to do, lead and present researches. After three years (that is the complete course) I'll be granted a PhD title and I'm prepared to work as a researcher.
Then the barber added: you'll be a sort of scientist...
Regrettably, in Italy the State does by no mean support the research!
In the past, every two-three years, Government called researchers for a national competition, the winners could get a full time position as researchers. Recently, some laws have been changed and it's not possible to hire a researcher for a permanent position, but only for three years. After these three years your contract might be renewed for other three years and then you are finished."
My hairdresser: it doesn't sound really good for your future. You are destined to a precarious condition.
Then I replied: it's not me, but the research is destined to an uncertain future and in long haul to disappear!
In the future other students will not be pushed to keep on studying, it's not worth doing or payoff (if you are not really animated by a strong passion and you were born with a tea spoon in your mouth).
My hairdresser: "What will it happen to Italy?"
me: maybe Italy is going to become an executive arm, just an arm without a brain to master it. Presumably, we will become the "copy and paste people" ... you know. when you do some researches and just copy someone's results/ideas and sell as yours...

1 comment:

Zax (Andrea) said...

I think that in the europe researchers don't have some kind
of 'permanent job', do they ?

Andrea
PS: or ... they don't have a "permanent job" like in italy ...

 

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!