Saturday 13 June 2009

First time..

Last Thursday I was on business trip for the first time, precisely I had to go to a meeting off-site, in Turin, where our client is located.
It was the first time that I had to deal directly with the client, in the past I had just a conference.
Moreover I was alone, I mean as technician without a senior, on my left there was only the sale manager who didn't give me a great support, actually.
Honestly, before leaving for Turin I gathered all the possible advise that I could, I spoke to seniors, managers and so on.. I was worried about this task because I didn't have any frame of reference on how to cope with customers.
I was afraid of becoming the laughing stock or shooting from the hip.

Also, it was the first time that I had to take some decisions for our current project and guide our client towards the best solution (at least I hope it was the best one...) and propose a new activity for the sake of increasing our revenue.
In some moments I acted more as a pre-sale manger than a technical adviser... but it goes with the territory in my profession.
Summing up, I think I hit the target :), I reported the outcome to my manager and I received some compliments on it, but it's not the time to rest on my laurel :)
An unhappy note... I was forced to pay all the expenses (aside from the flight tickets) in advance and I'm about to be strapped because I can't withdraw more money, I'm near to overcome my monthly limit withdrawal ... I set it too low... :(
How was your experience when you had your first meeting with the client ?

4 comments:

Gattosolitario said...

Nooo hai dovuto pagare tu in anticipo? Ma per chi lavori mamma mia...

Puntino said...

I know ..shame what can I do ?

Raiha said...

It sounds like it wasn't so bad! I remember my first client visits and i was so scared, i think that they could sense it... but it just forced me to be more prepared in the future and remember that the client is just another human. Totally sucks that you had to pay for everything yourself. I guess you can eat noodles until the end of the month ;-) /R

Puntino said...

@Raiha
Trevligt att traff dig!!

it wasn't a bad meeting for me.. I was pretty sure and I knew that the client wasn't prepared, I mean under a technical point of view :)

paying in advance, it sucks,sucks, a lot a lot :)

 

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!