Thursday 6 November 2008

LOOK LEFT, LOOK RIGHT

In London there is a huge amount of pedestrian signals all around. Before crossing the street, you should notice from which direction the cars come.
In order to help the people distinguishing the correct way to check they write on the street "look left" or "look right" near the crosswalks.



Above all they help the tourists to settle in, I guess.
What I want to point out, here, is the presence of these indications that I've never seen in other cities. Since in my city I don't have this kind of road signs and I was about to be run over several times, I got used to look at both ways... I know I was a fool:)

Another weird thing occurred to me. When I cross the street, generally, I 'm in habit of looking at the driver's head. I have my theory: you don't need to look at the car but just the driver's head and if they seem absent minded or they are looking at some girl :) you shouldn't cross the street, it's unsafe.
When I was in London I looked at the driver's head but given that I'm European I mistakenly looked at the passenger on the left while I should have looked at the one on the right !!!
Result : in the early time I thought that British people didn't care about the pedestrians and I was utterly confused where to look, you know, they are those kind of actions that you take without reflecting, they are spontaneous.

Now in Italy, l always look at both directions, even though I exactly know from which way the cars are supposed to come. Before my departure for London I didn't do it !

1 comment:

Zax (Andrea) said...

In London, usually I look at the right and left ... I think that it's safe for me. One of my classmate (european) never remind it, and 2/3 times she cross the road near a car !

 

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!