Monday 16 February 2009

Male thoughts

= stupid thoughts !! (not always, actually !)
Some week ago, my flatmate and I wondered why the best cook are male while at home, usually, in our country the women is the Queen of the kitchen.
This silly and trivial question received a first answer by Zsofia, a dear friend of mine. In her opinion the people tend to be committed with other tasks, when they are at home.
if they work as teachers at home they don't like to teach their own children and so on.
An interesting theory, what do you think about ?

Another thing that I've noticed during these days. I spent most part of my work reading technical books and I discivered the existence of a masculine oriented literature. Let me spell out a lot of books are written keeping in mind that only man can read them. It's likely to be true for some kind of topics (e.g. computer network, programming languages,...) but they should never point towards a specific reader, I rekoon.
So I've run into loads of "his" and "him" and if the reader was a woman ?

4 comments:

Mauron said...

Hej! My two cents:
* Cooking at home and in a restaurant are two different things: working in a restaurant is extremely demanding in terms of effort and dedication, and this more often coincide with the "totalitarian" concept of job that many man have. And only the most committed to this job actually are doing it at high level. Still Statistically talking, women tend to have more interests, one of them the domestic "life", having care of the people in the house. That's why they ted to cook, clean, or decore house, more than a man will do. That's not "right" or "wrong" in absolute terms, it's what most commonly happens, i think.

* The gender in books: i agree with your point of view, but in many languages there is not a "neutral" gender when talking to or about people. You're forced to use him/her, and you do a best guess for all the book, in base of the topic. The only solution i see is to use "him-slash-her" in all text, but it's extremely boring to read... in our language gender affects also adjectives and verbs, so it will be extremely complex to write a text for both genders :)
Another (sad ?) consideration, when talking about a person with unspecified gender, the default is always "male"...

My two cents :)))
It's my first comment here, good blog!

Zax (Andrea) said...

I agree with sofia: when someone ask me "... please can you check my Laptop, there are something wrong ... " I don't want to heard those words, I hate it :-)

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've just accidentally realized I'd turned up on your blog (named in your text) and there's even someone in the Comments who agrees with me, how flattering! It made my day :) kisses, Zsófia

Puntino said...

Hi Zsofia,
nice to see you here...
You're not alone in your opinion :)

 

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!